Wednesday, January 24, 2007

My So-Called Scarf, in miniature


Pattern: My So-Called Scarf
Yarn: Manos del Uruguay, in color 55 Olive, 125 yards/hank, about half a hank?
Needles: 20" U.S. 11 Denise
Size: mini (for a 3-year-old), 27" x 3" before blocking

I made a full-size My So-Called Scarf in this yarn a couple of years ago as a birthday gift for the September Sibling. Now her little boy's birthday is coming up, and a matching version seemed a good idea. I love how this pattern is flattering to male and female wearers alike.

To tell the truth, I just plain love this pattern.

Ditto for Manos. Yes, it pills, but I don't make sweaters out of it. Sometimes the variation in thickness (and gauge) can be extreme, but I like that quality. I hear that recent entries into the market are softer, and that may be the case, but I haven't had the chance to try any of them yet. So, for the time being, Manos remains one of my desert island yarns. (Aran island yarns, more likely.)

Pattern modifications were few, apart from the obvious. I cast on 18 stitches, I think.

No comments: