Sunday, January 7, 2007

Seeing red...I wish

I did manage to get a photo of the fraternal twin Crosspatch today, but I'm having a devil of a time getting this color combination to render well. I thought the picture I posted of the firstborn was off. This one is ten times worse.


I'll stop whinging now.

Pattern: Elizabeth Morrison's Crosspatch, Summer '06 edition of Knitty
Yarn: Jo Sharp Silkroad Aran, in colors hemlock, quartz, and batik
Needles: 16" U.S. 8 Addi Turbos and U.S. 8 Bryspun dpns
Dimensions: 19" circumference, 7" tall (when flat)

As before, I created the top plain band by knitting two ridges of garter stitch.

On the firstborn, I used a twisted German cast-on; this time I went with a straight continental long-tail cast-on. I like that it doesn't untwist the plies, a problem I run into with the twisted German. (Perhaps it would help if I noted the direction of twist before working the cast-on?) Both cast-ons seem to work well visually with the garter stitch pattern.

I had planned to try out the magic loop method when knitting this twin, but I found I didn't have the appropriate needle. (It might be more accurate to say that I didn't have the appropriate needle available at the moment.)

And can I just say that I see more Jo Sharp Silkroad in my future?

I continue to love this design, even though my colorway, dictated by what I had left over from the firstborn, doesn't show off the patterned band to much advantage. I like that the slip stitch section gives the hat some padding and makes it warmer. I even like the looks of the inside. Perhaps I'll get a shot of that next time I do some mosaic knitting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You can barely see that its green + purple. Maybe use a different background.